Completion of the coursework for the first two semesters of this program provides the students with a College-Approved certificate. Courses completed in this certificate also meet requirements in the Culinary Arts associate degree.
The Pastry Certificate enables students to:
- Practice the skills necessary to assist in pastry shops, restaurants, and related departments in industry institutions;
- Establish and maintain sanitation standards for service operations under the National Certification guidelines;
- Produce accurate food computations and demonstrate an understanding of weights and measures;
- Become proficient in baking techniques, processes, methods and ingredients used to prepare yeast breads, quick breads, various types of cookies and cakes, meringues, creams and custards, and dessert sauces;
- Prepare pastries and desserts, pate choux and puff pastry, a variety of fillings, and hot and cold sauces.
- Demonstrate techniques, terminology, and the creative process in the design of finished display pieces;
- Develop the professionalism necessary for working successfully with subordinates, peers, supervisors, suppliers, customers and industry professionals;