Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I find an internship?
You should begin the internship search process the semester before your internship will take place. Call Laurie Hinken, Senior Academic Counselor, 508-588-9100 x1466 to schedule an appointment to start the process.
- Can I use my current job as an internship?
If your employer agrees to be an internship host and your job meets the requirements for a Massasoit internship, it may qualify as an internship. You, your faculty advisor, and your employer will be required to determine learning objectives and complete an Internship Agreement.
- Can I use my work study position as an internship?
Work study positions are currently not approved for internship recognition or credit.
- Will I receive a grade for my internship?
Students who successfully complete a credit-bearing internship will receive a grade on their transcript. Students who successfully complete a non-credit internship will receive a passing notation on their transcript and a certificate of completion.
- What is the internship course?
Credit-bearing internships will require weekly classwork and assignments specific to the student’s field of study. The non-credit internship course is not specific to any discipline or program. It focuses on the development of professional skills through various written reflections.
- What will I learn during my internship?
You will work with a faculty advisor and/or internship coordinator to design learning objectives specific to your internship. In addition to your individual learning objectives, the following learning outcomes must be met:
- Develop technical skills and professional communications in a work setting
- Understand industry and organizational structures, culture, and ethics
- Apply and reflect on the connections to academic theory and practice
- Strengthen critical thinking, research skills, and problem-solving skills
- Develop awareness of self, others, and social responsibility in a work, career, and global context
- Establish a network of professional contacts, mentors, and references
- Do I qualify for an internship if I am an International Student?
International students studying in the United States on an F-1 visa should contact their international student advisor for information on visa restrictions and working on or off campus.