Phlebotomy Certificate Program Outcomes
Back to Phlebotomy Certificate
- Demonstrate knowledge of OSHA’s Blood Borne Pathogen Standard, control clinical site work practices and safety policies for phlebotomy procedures and specimen handling.
- Interpret order requisition for laboratory tests and select appropriate equipment for blood collection.
- Demonstrate correct patient identification for inpatients and outpatients as documented by clinical site procedure manual.
- Perform a minimum of 175 venipunctures by vacutainer according to CLSI guidelines.
- Perform proper technique for collecting blood specimen by butterfly needle.
- Follow established laboratory policies for patient refusal, inability to collect a sample and patient complications that may occur during the blood collection procedure.
- Demonstrate proper procedure for specimen handling and transport.
- Perform proper specimen processing procedures.
- Perform proper technique in microcollection and special collection procedures if applicable to laboratory.
- Utilize basic laboratory compute skills involved in laboratory specimen procurement.
- Relate medical ethics, professionalism and proper communication with all patient and staff interactions.
- Adhere to all HIPAA regulations.
- Demonstrate a responsible and accountable attitude toward work assignments.
- As a representative of the health care setting, maintain an attitude of “patient focus” and customer satisfaction in your service and interaction with patients.