Welcome to Massasoit Community College
Massasoit Community College was founded in 1966, but its origin can be traced to a 1947 study by the State Board of Education which determined the need for a low tuition, state supported system. The study proposed that twelve community colleges be established, one of which would serve the Greater Brockton, South Shore area. In 1961, a proposal was brought before the Brockton School Committee, and after a feasibility study, announcement of such a college was made in 1965.
In September, 1966, the College, consisting of 358 students and 22 faculty, held its first classes in the Charles M. Frolio School in North Abington, and in June, 1968, the first graduation was held for 137 students. Additional campuses were later established at the former Howard School in West Bridgewater and the Miramar School in Duxbury.
Groundbreaking for the first five buildings of the permanent Brockton campus occurred in 1969, and by 1972 the campus was officially opened. During this time, the College received its first accreditation from the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. By 1978, the five remaining buildings of the campus were completed.
Governance of higher education in Massachusetts underwent reorganization in 1980, replacing the Board of Regional Community Colleges and other state coordinating boards with the Board of Regents of Higher Education (now called “The Board of Higher Education). As part of the change, in 1981, the Massasoit Board of Trustees assumed local control of the College.
In 1985, the Blue Hills Technical Institute, itself in existence since 1966, formally merged with Massasoit Community College, and is now the Canton campus.