Veterinary Assistant Certificate – Non-Credit
About Our Program
VA Approved Program
What is a Veterinary Assistant?
The veterinary assistant supports the veterinarian and/or the veterinary technician in their daily tasks. The assistant may be asked to perform kennel work, assist in the restraint and handling of animals, feed and exercise the animals, and spend time on clerical duties. There is no credentialing exam for the veterinary assistant. The ability to follow directions, listen and communicate efficiently, and handle multiple assignments are skills that a veterinary assistant should demonstrate. The essential skills you will learn in this program will help you keep animals healthy, care for them when they are ill, and assist veterinarians in their offices.
Our program will teach you how to:
- Interact with animals and their owners.
- Obtain animal health histories and records.
- Understand veterinary medical terminology.
- Recognize the major breeds of various animals.
- Assist the veterinarian with caring for animals.
- Assist with surgical and treatment procedures.
- Recognize signs and symptoms of illness and disease.
- Perform administrative duties in the veterinarians office.
This 60 hour, two course program must be taken in sequential order.
Certificate of Completion
A certificate will be awarded upon successful completion of both courses. Courses must be taken in sequential order.
- Not Financial Aid Eligible