Non-Resident Student Driver
Massachusetts state law requires that full-time Massasoit Community College students, who operate a motor vehicle that is registered in another state, but which remains in the Commonwealth for a period exceeding 30 days between September 1 of any year and August 31 of the following year, must file a RMV Nonresident Driver Statement. If an out-of-state student chooses to bring a vehicle to campus, but does not choose to register the vehicle with the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles, then they MUST file a nonresident driver with their local police department.
This Statement, which must be signed under penalties of perjury, calls for the following information:
- Registration number and make of the motor vehicle and state or county of registration;
- Name and local and out of state addresses of the owner;
- Names and addresses of all insurers providing liability insurance covering the vehicle;
- Legal residence of the non-resident student and his/her residence while attending college;
- Name and address of the college which he or she is attending;
Massasoit Community College students can obtain the Non-Resident Driver Statement application online or in person at the Massasoit Community College Police Department – Brockton or Canton Campus.
Following the completion of the Non-Resident Driver Statement application the student shall follow the below process to obtain a nonresident student driver decal:
- Complete the Nonresident Driver Statement Form;
- Obtain and complete a Non-Resident Decal Application online or in person at the Massasoit Community College Police Department – Brockton or Canton Campus;
- Return the Nonresident Driver Statement AND the Non-Resident Decal Application to the Massasoit Police Department Brockton or Canton Campus. Upon receipt and review of the statement AND application, a Non-Resident Decal will be issued, in which the student shall affix to the upper-center portion of the front windshield of his or her motor-vehicle.
- Once the student has completed the above procedure and his or she has received their Non-Resident Decal, he or she shall immediately submit the Nonresident Driver Statement to their local police department.
NOTE: THE NON-RESIDENT DRIVER STATEMENT IS REQUIRED TO BE COMPLETED AND ATTACHED TO THE COLLEGE’S NON-RESIDENT DECAL APPLICATION – FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN THE APPLICATION BEING REJECTED BY THE COLLEGE POLICE DEPARTMENT.
Massachusetts General Law chapter 90, section 3 specifically requires that Massasoit Community College share the following warning notice with all students who are not Massachusetts residents:
“IT IS UNLAWFUL FOR A NON-RESIDENT STUDENT TO FAIL TO FILE A NON-RESIDENT DRIVER STATEMENT WITH THE POLICE DEPARTMENT LOCATED IN THE SAME CITY OR TOWN AS THE SCHOOL OR COLLEGE ATTENDED, IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 3 OF CHAPTER 90 OF THE MASSACHUSETTS GENERAL LAWS. FAILURE TO FILE SUCH A STATEMENT IS PUNISHABLE BY A FINE NOT TO EXCEED