The College is authorized under the U.S. Federal Law, Immigration and Naturalization Act, to enroll non-immigrant alien students. Therefore, the College will accept applications for admission from non-immigrant aliens. College admission requirements and the College academic calendar are available from the Admissions Office which also provides application, credential deadlines and enrollment dates for International Students.

  • May I apply for admission to Massasoit Community College as an International student at any time?
    For Spring Semester, you must apply by November 30. For Fall Semester you must apply by July 15 unless you are a transfer student. Please note deadlines in the International Students Admissions Guide (PDF).
  • Can I take the TOEFL in my country before arriving in the United States?
    Yes. This test is administered several times during the year world wide. Consult the international testing program calendar by writing to TOEFL, Box 899, Princeton, NJ 08541, U.S.A or visit for further TOEFL information.
  • If my native and first language is English, do I need to take the TOEFL Exam in order to Receive my I-20?
    No. However, you will be required to provide one of the three options in Part IV(proof of English Proficiency) to satisfy this requirement. During your new student orientation at Massasoit all students will be required to take placement exams in Reading, Writing and Math for advisement and proper placement into courses.
  • I have completed an English-as-a-Second Language program at another institution, do I still have to take the Reading and Writing Placement Exams?
    Yes. This is necessary for registration at the College and to assist with proper placement into courses.
  • Are there registration and placement requirements for courses?
    Yes. Registration and placement into courses is dependent upon English language proficiency, advising and counseling, placement testing, and course program requirements.
  • I have limited financial resources. May I receive financial aid from Massasoit Community College?
    No. A statement of financial support available to support your educational and living expenses must be provided to Massasoit. The resources are estimated to be $24,000.00 per academic year. This requirement is part III (Proof of Financial Support) in the international admissions requirements page. The proof of financial support indicates to the school that you have and are able to maintain sufficient funding during your studies in the United States.
  • Do I need to be a high school graduate to attend Massasoit Community College?
    Yes. Official transcripts and high school diploma or secondary leaving certificates are needed. In addition, a notarized translation of all non-English transcripts must be submitted in English for admission(Part II of International admissions requirements page).
  • Where may I obtain evaluations and/or translations for my foreign educational documents?
    Commonly used services for educational evaluation and translation in the United States are: NAEG (North American Educational Group) or 1-888-539-2804 & CED (Center for Educational Documentation) or 617-338-7171 and Education Credential Evaluators , NAEG, CED, ECE, and WES provide evaluation and/or translation of Foreign Documentation and require a fee. It is highly recommended that one of these options be used to ensure proper document evaluation and translation.
  • What is SEVIS?
    SEVIS (Student Exchange Visitor Information System) is the actual database the INS uses to track and monitor non-immigrant students and exchange visitors. Visit for more in-depth information.
  • How do I receive a SEVIS Form I-20?
    After you have been admitted to Massasoit based on the completion of all the specific international admissions requirements, you will receive a SEVIS Form I-20 from an admissions counselor. The admissions counselor will contact you (if you are in the U.S during the time you have made your application) or your sponsor to ensure that all documents are received and explained. You will be asked to pay a tuition deposit of $50.00 US dollars at the time you receive your SEVIS Form I-20. Please note: A SEVIS I-20 is not a VISA. Students must petition for their F-1 Visa on their own.
  • After receiving my SEVIS Form I-20 and Massasoit Admissions Acceptance Letter, how do I receive my F-1 Visa?
    Students must make an appointment with a United States Embassy in his/her home country to petition for their F-1 Visa and provide documents including: SEVIS Form I-20, I-901 fee receipt, copy of the Massasoit Certificate Financial Support and Massasoit Letter of Acceptance. For information on United States Embassies please visit
  • What is the SEVIS I-901 Fee?
    The SEVIS I-901 Fee is a maintenance fee of $350.00 that must be paid by the student or sponsor before applying for his/her F-1 Visa. The SEVIS I-901 Fee receipt must be brought to the consulate or embassy during the student appointment for his/her F-1 Visa. For more information on the SEVIS I-901, please visit
  • Will I be able to enroll at Massasoit after arriving without having completed the admissions requirements?
    No. You must be admitted to the College and be permitted to register into classes only after all admission requirements are fulfilled. These requirements must be completed prior to the intended academic term of enrollment.
  • After being admitted, if I arrive after classes begin, may I still attend that term
    No. You must arrive prior to the start date of your SEVIS I-20 and not more than 30 days before the start date. It is necessary to arrive before classes begin for passport and immigration verifications, new student orientation, course advisement, course placement, and registration into classes.
  • Are there specific United States Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service requirements for an F-1 student?
    Yes. They are: Pursue and maintain a full course of study (at least 12 credits) at the educational institution they are authorized to attend each semester. Must make an appointment with an admissions counselor to notify the school of any changes such as transfer, OPT, CPT, change of address and travel.
  • Can I work while on an F-1 Student Visa?
    As an International student on an F-1 Visa, you may only work on-campus 20 hrs a week during the academic semester and 40 hrs a week during the summer. Please note: On Campus work is given preference to students receiving financial aid. After the completion of two semesters (one full academic year) in full time status, students may meet with an admissions counselor to inquire about off-campus employment. OPT (optional Practical Training) and CPT (Curricular Practical Training) must be handled separate and require petitions to the United States Government.
  • During the last semester at Massasoit, what should my next steps be?
    Keep in mind, your F-1 Visa is valid by the start and end dates on your SEVIS Form I-20. You should always have the end date on your SEVIS Form I-20 in mind and make plans before it expires. Options may include OPT, change of status, returning to your country of origin, transferring to another United States College or University for a higher degree to name a few options. It is important that while you are with us at Massasoit, you make sure to contact an admissions counselor to review your options and let us know of any plans you have so that we may make the appropriate change in your file and on SEVIS.
  • Will I be able to participate in varsity sports?
    Yes. Students interested in participating on a varsity athletic team are welcome. We encourage you to contact the Massasoit Athletic Department for further information on tryouts and team meetings. (508-588-9100 x1431)
  • May I change majors while in college?
    Yes. You must notify the Admissions Office if you wish to change majors and the correct major will be changed on SEVIS as well as a new I-20 created.
  • Can I study while in process of a change of status?
    It depends on what visa you entered in the United States with. If you entered with a J-1 Visa and are changing to an F-1 visa, you can Study while waiting for your answer from the Government. B2 Visitor Visa holders Cannot study while waiting for their answer from the Government.