Students who wish to be considered for all forms of financial aid must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). at : Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The priority deadline is July 1 for each academic year (November 15 for students beginning in spring semester).
To begin, you and your custodial parent, if applicable, will need an FSA ID which serves as your electronic signature. Follow the link to create one. Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID). If you need assistance creating an FSA ID, please watch this step by step tutorial or contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243.
Here are a few important things to remember when applying for Financial Aid:
- Priority deadline to complete FAFSA is July 1. Applicants who submit the FAFSA by the priority deadline will receive priority consideration for limited financial aid resources and should receive their financial aid award decisions prior to the semester billing deadline. Applications received after the priority deadline will be considered based on available funding, but late applicants may not receive award decisions prior to the start of classes.
- Remember to list Massasoit’s school code (002177) in the “School Selection” section of the FAFSA.
- Use the IRS Retrieval Tool which allows the IRS to directly download your IRS 1040 figures into your FAFSA. It is the easiest way to go!
- Complete a new FAFSA each academic year.
- It is the student’s responsibility to make sure that all information is accurate and complete.
Why should I use the IRS Data Retrieval tool?
- Submit your sensitive data in the fastest and most secure way possible!
- Your FAFSA will also be far less prone to error which will save you from having to provide tax documents later. If you are selected for the verification process and you use the IRS Data Retrieval tool, our office will waive the requirement to submit tax documents. Other documentation must still be submitted, but you will no longer need to send your sensitive tax information through the mail.
What happens after my FAFSA is completed?
- Approximately 1-2 weeks after you complete the FAFSA, you will receive an email from the federal processing center informing you to check your processing status on the FAFSA website. If you did not provide an email address, the FAFSA processor will mail you a Student Aid Report (SAR). Carefully review your status and follow the instructions if you need to make any corrections.
- Our office will receive your information as long as Massasoit Community College, school code 002177, is listed in the “School Selection” section AND you have submitted a Massasoit Admissions Application along with your Social Security Number (SSN). If we cannot match the SSN on your FAFSA to an SSN on file at our school, your FAFSA cannot be brought into our system for review.
- All registered and returning students should check the status of their Financial Aid application on MyMassasoit portal to view Required documents and Tentative Awards. Awards are based on anticipated full-time enrollment and will be posted there once the student’s file is complete.