Grade Point Average (GPA)
Grades are reported using a four-point system. The following are included in the Grade Point Average GPA:
|D+||1.3||Les than Satisfactory|
The following grades are not included in the GPA:
- A – Audit: Indicates permission for a student to participate in a class without the intent of earning academic credit. Audits in a course are allowed on a space-available basis. An audit status may not be changed to full registration nor may full registration be changed to an audit status after the course begins.
- I – Incomplete: Given by the instructor if at least a majority of the course work has been completed. In this event, the student is required to contact the instructor as soon as possible, certainly no later than 30 days after the semester, to determine how the work will be made up. The grade of Incomplete will remain open through the following semester (summer sessions excluded) at which time, if not changed by the instructor, the grade of Incomplete becomes a Failure.
- NG – No Grade: Indicates that the faculty member did not submit a grade at the time that grades were rolled to a student’s academic history.
- P – Pass: Given for successful completion of certain internships, practicums, community service courses, and other courses. This grade has no impact on the GPA but the course may be counted toward graduation.
- W – Withdrawn: Indicates withdrawal from a 15-week course by Friday of the 10th week of classes. The withdrawal period for courses meeting fewer than 15 weeks will be prorated accordingly. Students who withdraw from the College any time after the first week will receive Ws for all their courses. Failure to officially withdraw will result in a failing grade on the student’s transcript.
Repeating a Course
A course in which a student received a “C-” or below may be repeated without prior approval. A course in which a student received a grade of “C” or higher may be repeated only with prior approval. Waiver to Repeat a Course forms are available in the Registrar’s Office.
Change of Grade Policy as of Fall 2013
- A change of grade must be made within one year after the conclusion of the class. The faculty of record for the course is the only person who can make the grade change, and this would also include a change of an F to a W. The faculty of record would be the only signature required.
- In the event that the faculty of record is unable to be located or reached after reasonable attempts, and after a reasonable amount of time, the student’s request for a grade change, with the signature of both the appropriate department chair and dean, would go to the Appeals Committee, and the Appeals Committee could make a recommendation to the Senate. If the Appeals Committee denies the request, the issue would end. If the Appeals Committee is on extended recess (June through August), the appeal would go directly to the current Senate President. The Senate President would poll the Senate body by email to get their sense of the appeal and then act accordingly.
- In the case of changing an F to a W, the college must provide the faculty member of record all information necessary in order for the faculty member to approve this change, and the college must have, in writing, approval from the faculty of record in order to make this change. If the faculty member is not available, then the request for change of an F to a W would go through the steps outlined in #2.