COVID-19 Updates
The college is operating remotely, including offices and most classes; anyone scheduled to be on campus must complete a daily health screen. Read More

Academic Degrees

The Board of Higher Education has statutory authority to confer Associate Degrees to individual community colleges. Upon recommendation of the faculty, those candidates who qualify may be awarded a degree of Associate in Arts (A.A.), the degree of Associate in Science (A.S.), or the degree of Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.).

A Certificate is awarded to students who complete at least 30 credits in a Board of Higher Education approved program.

Dean’s List

Students who have earned a GPA of 3.40 or higher in a semester in which they have completed at least nine semester hours are considered candidates for the Dean’s List. Students who have received an F or an I cannot be included on the Dean’s List. However, students who make up work and whose “I” grades are changed by the professor may be added to the Dean’s List for one full semester only.

Semester Hour

A semester hour is a unit of credit earned for attending and successfully completing a course during a given semester. A class that awards 3 semester hours represents 150 minutes of instructional time per week for 15 weeks with the expectation of at least two hours of additional work or the equivalent. Laboratory courses may carry additional credit hours, usually at the rate of one credit per two hour lab. Sixty or more semester hours (but not more than 70) are required for graduation from degree programs depending on the curriculum in which a student is enrolled. Certificate programs may require fewer semester hours.

Student Status

  • Freshmen are students who have completed fewer than thirty credits. Sophomores are students who have completed thirty or more credits.
  • Full-time students are those registered for at least twelve credits per semester.
  • Part-time students are those who register for fewer than twelve credits per semester.
  • Matriculating students are those who have been formally accepted in a program.
  • Non-degree students are those who are not in any academic program. A special student who is part time registers for courses on a space-available basis.

Change of Program

Students in interested in changing their program of study initiate the process with an advisor in the Advisement & Counseling Center in Brockton, the Enrollment Center in Canton, or the Main Office in Middleborough. Required paperwork is filled out during a discussion with the advisor, and career counseling is provided if necessary. All completed requests are filed with the Registrar’s Office. Please note: applications to selective admissions programs are submitted to the Admissions Office.

Special Studies

The intent of special studies is to provide: (1) an alternative method for completing catalog courses (Directed Study); and (2) an opportunity to explore subject matter not presently offered (Independent Study). Students wishing to take special studies must fill out the appropriate form with a faculty member who is willing to guide their studies. Limited to 2 courses per student (not including LATCH semester). Prerequisite: Approval of the Department and Assistant/Associate Dean.

Honors Program

An Honors course is any course of the College which is taught in an Honors format. This format involves a seminar style of teaching and learning, a high degree of student involvement in both class discussion and the presentation of reports, and ongoing consultations between student and instructor. Students admitted to a course on an Honors basis are usually recommended by one instructor of the department and, as a condition for entry, are interviewed by the instructor of the Honors course itself. Students may be asked to read course materials or texts before the first class of the course. Each course taken in an Honors format is so noted on the student’s transcript.

Green Key

Green Key is an honorary activities society, established in 1968, designed to recognize the contributions made by students in the College and the wider community and to encourage involvement and participation in the life of the College. Although selection is primarily based on leadership, participation and unselfish contributions of one’s time, energy and ability, the student must also be making satisfactory progress in his or her academic pursuits. Membership in this organization represents the highest honor the College can bestow for outstanding leadership in both the College and the community.


Massasoit Community College is a fully participating member of the Southeastern Association for Cooperation in Higher Education in Massachusetts (SACHEM), a consortium of nine institutions of higher education in Southeastern Massachusetts whose purpose is to provide extended educational opportunities through cooperative programs and projects in a variety of educational and cultural endeavors. Of particular interest to students is the opportunity to enroll in selected courses at other SACHEM institutions at no additional cost.

The schools included in this consortium are:

  • Bridgewater State University, Bridgewater
  • Bristol Community College, Fall River
  • Cape Cod Community College, West Barnstable
  • Dean Junior College, Franklin Massachusetts
  • Maritime Academy, Buzzards Bay
  • Massasoit Community College, Brockton
  • Stonehill College, North Easton
  • University of Massachusetts, North Dartmouth
  • Wheaton College, Norton

Details of the “cross-registration” program for those who are interested may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar

Credit for Prior Learning

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) and Credit for Prior Learning (CPL)

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is a process through which students enrolled in a degree or certificate program at Massasoit Community College may earn college credit for knowledge gained through training, military service, work experience, volunteer service, or other experiential learning that occurred prior to enrollment at the college.

Through prior learning assessment, Credit For Prior Learning (CPL) may be awarded for college-level learning for which documentation exists to verify a student’s mastery of course outcomes. Learn more.

Academic Standing & Progress Towards a Degree

The cumulative GPA is the total of all Quality Points acquired divided by the total number of credits attempted. Students are considered to be in Good Standing if they maintain a cumulative GPA as indicated:

1.0 upon the completion of 1-15 total credits

1.6 upon the completion of 16-30 total credits

1.75 upon the completion of 31-45 total credits

2.0 upon the completion of over 45 total credits

Withdrawals, Incompletes, Passes, and Audits are not completed courses and, therefore, do not factor into the GPA.

The minimum cumulative GPA for graduation is 2.0. Students receiving financial aid are also required by government regulations to comply with additional standards. Please see Financial Aid Section.

Academic Probation

Students who are not in Good Standing will be placed on Academic Probation and are strongly encouraged to meet with a counselor. The purpose in meeting with the counselor is to consider one or more of the following options:

  1. a reduction or change in the student’s intended course selection for the next probationary semester;
  2. a reduction or change in intended work plans for next semester;
  3. tutoring;
  4. academic assistance program, LATCH;
  5. a program of regular, periodic meetings with the student’s new instructors, counselor, and/or faculty advisor and
  6. career reassessment program.

After one semester of Academic Probation, the student will:

  1. be removed from Academic Probation if the cumulative grade point average is raised to or above that required for Good Standing.
  2. continue on Academic Probation if the probationary semester’s grade point average is 2.25 or above, but the cumulative grade point average stays below that required for Good Standing.
  3. Will have a status of Academic Deficiency if the semester’s GPA is below 2.25 and the cumulative GPA is below that required for Good Standing.

Academic Deficiency

The student has a number of alternatives when his/her academic status falls to Academic Deficiency:

  1. If applicable, the student may complete his/her incomplete course work and bring the academic record back into Good Standing before the beginning of the next semester.
  2. The student may submit an appeal to the Appeals Committee. The Committee will consider alternatives and make recommendations to the Senior Vice President and Vice President of Faculty and Instruction.
  3. The student may request special academic counseling and planning with College counselors or developmental program staff who will consider alternatives and make recommendations to the Senior Vice President and Vice President of Faculty and Instruction.
  4. If no action is taken within the identified timeframe, the student remains in deficiency status and in a non-degree program for one academic semester. After one academic semester, a student may apply for readmission to a degree program.