Preferred/Chosen First Name Change

The College recognizes that some students may prefer to use a first name other than their legal name to identify themselves.  As long as the use of a preferred first name is not for an improper purpose, the College acknowledges that a preferred first name can and should be used where possible in the course of College business and education. 

Students may use a preferred first name wherever a legal name is not required on internal documents, communications, systems, and web portals. 

Examples include, but are not limited to: 

  • Student identification cards
  • Diplomas, awards, and recognitions
  • Email and calendar entries
  • Class rosters and advisor lists
  • Learning Management Systems

At this time, certain class rosters and advisor lists will include your preferred name. The College aims to include your preferred name on all rosters and lists as soon as possible.

Students can directly update their personal information to include a preferred/chosen name, gender, and pronouns. Students must login to their MyMassasoit Portal, select “Personal Information” from the Resources section of the Main Menu, and click “Edit” in the top-right corner of the “Personal Details” box.

Because faculty may not have timely access to changes to personal information, students can complete the Preferred/Chosen First Name Change Notification Form available online.

To request a username change, please complete the Request a Username Change Form.

Legal Name Change

In instances of marriage, divorce, adoption, etc., students may need to update their full legal name. The following process is followed when any student seeks to change his or her biographical data as provided and maintained in College records. A student’s legal name shall be used on all College documents, systems and communications external to the College and/or where a legal name is required. 

Examples include, but are not limited to:

  • Financial Aid records
  • Student Accounts records
  • Student Personally Identifiable Information
  • Student Directory information
  • Payroll records
  • Health records
  • Official transcripts
  • Federal immigration documents
  • Interactions with government agencies

In order for any student to change their legal name on College records, a student must present a certified copy of a court order or other legal document indicating a legal name change has been granted. To begin the process, students should complete the Legal Name Change Request Form (PDF) available online or in the Registrar’s Office. The completed form and supporting documentation can be submitted in person to the Registrar’s Office or scanned and emailed to Registrar.


Contact us

Please feel free to contact us if you need more assistance.
Registrar’s Office
Dean of Students
Diversity & Inclusion and the Title IX